Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Wonky...not Willy Wonka...


Finally, yesterday I went to learn how to do the wonky cake.
Also known as whimsical or topsy turvy cake. Quite a lot of carving to do and for a first timer in sculpting, all the access cake crumbs was not a sight for the faint hearted. But of course, all that can be salvaged into chocolate balls.

Quite a bit of math went into carving the wonkies and after some practise, it got easier but I still needed a lot more work on the carving.

Man, these wonkies are plenty of work. I was introduced to some stencil work and this was the design i liked the most...since i don't quite fancy flowers.

Had a different design in mind but the bottom tier didn't turn out so bad. At least i now know how to do the net.I used the Patchwork Cutter's Poppy Flower cutter (one of my favourite among Pathwork cutters).

Even had a different idea for the top tier but ended up using just a bit of simple strings with silver balls (my favourite decor item) and it turned out quite elegant. All in all, my best work of art yet. I came home yesterday, satisfied and overwhelmed by all the knowledge acquired.

Called up a friend and one of my best customers and donated (another "mean" means of self promotion) this cake to her. Told her to bring it to her office to share it with her staff but of course asked a favor from her to have it displayed first at the foyer...just for awhile. But anyway, Selamat Hari Raya to all my friends ho have supported me and to my best supporter of all...my husband! May God bless us all with prosperity.

Oh, by the way, I thought of naming this art..."My Sensation". What do you think? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment